Month's top: Carnack with 100$
Want LAH to translate a manga for you?
Little Angels Hentai Forum Index
It's for you!
PLEASE LOG IN OR REGISTER TO BE ABLE TO SEE THE PICTURES AND ATTACHED FILES!
Request for a site modification

Compose reply Little Angels Hentai Forum Index » Help and test-post forum View previous thread
View next thread
DMCA
Request for a site modification
Would a 'live link' descriptor be helpful/useful in your LAH site browsing?
Yes
 33%  [ 1 ]
No
 66%  [ 2 ]
You mean that Megaupload is really gone for good? 8|
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3
Lokimani
Warnings:

Post Request for a site modification Quote
Please forgive the 'wall of text' to follow. I have limited time this evening and want to write this before I forget all about it...

I ADORE the layout of the LAH site! It is very well organized and I believe it to also be well monitored. I would now like to make a request. Because the LAH site has been around longer than most others, and because recent activities made certain cloud sites and torrents 'frozen', I would like to request that new posts that include valid links to working cloud sites or torrents include a marker of some sort.

I am not a current PHP programmer but I am aware of several sites that use similar techniques. What I speak of is as 'simple' as an icon that displays when a link functions properly. Many sites periodically check off-site links for 404 errors and such and report this information back to the referring page. Most use 'traffic signal' colors to identify off-site link status. (I believe that there is a PhpBB 'mod' already created for this purpose.) On the LAH site, icons of various LAH characters might be more appropriate and even 'cryptic' to non-members, spiders and robots.

As I stated, I do not currently code in PHP but I do write in native C and a few other ancient languages. I have seen the speed and efficiency with which image files are compared before posting so I am confident that the LAH server(s) is(are) up to the task. Still, this is not my site and I have no reason to believe that my request will be granted.

The reason that I restrict my request to 'new posts only' is that I do write code and understand that implementing something like this on existing posts can be very complicated. However, giving moderators the ability to post to existing threads with this function enabled would solve the problem without 'breaking the machine'. Still, the testing would require that the Dev environment be used and if the coders on LAH are anything like me then eyebrows will be raised and grumbling heard long before anything 'live' would be seen. (I imagine that the same occurred when the 'Prime Links' modification was added to the LAH board.)

On the plus side of things, contributing members could choose to receive notifications, either locally or to their designated email accounts, by selecting an option within the UCP when one of their contributions failed. (I would NOT have wanted to be there if this option was enabled when Megaupload and its peers was shut down!) Still, contributors would be allowed to choose whether or not to receive notifications for failed links and if an initial post failed I know that I would personally like to know that my fat fingers made a mistake. That way I could fix it before too many others were disappointed by my error.

As I say, this is only my request but I do believe that it would encourage contributing users to update dead links.

Thank you for taking the time to read my wall of text.

Regards,

Lokimani

Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:32 am Profile PM
Electricus
Angel of the Face
Warnings:

Post Quote
How would this work when the links are designed not to work?

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:13 am Profile PM
Sat
Star Angel
Warnings:

Post Quote
Hey Lokimani,

thank you very much for putting so much thought into improving the site.

Thing is, we are currently working on an entirely new system that will eliminate the need for such a mod.
I would not like to disclose too much at this point, but with the new system, all links will be marked, and more importantly, all of them will work.

Some people say, the universe is a Star Ocean!

Want to donate to keep the site up? PM me for possible donation ways!
We now also accept Bitcoin.

Got a suggestion on how we can improve LAH? Post it here or vote for other people's suggestions!
Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:37 pm Profile PM WWW Skype
Lokimani
Warnings:

Post Quote
Electricus:
How would this work when the links are designed not to work?
Without going into technical detail here, it is quite easy to assign a pointer for a redirect when a string reads, "hxxp://" instead of "http://." It's just that most of the spiders out there are 'dumb' and gloss over such things. Sat's post below renders the whole thing moot anyway. Very Happy

Sat:
Hey Lokimani,

thank you very much for putting so much thought into improving the site.

Thing is, we are currently working on an entirely new system that will eliminate the need for such a mod.
I would not like to disclose too much at this point, but with the new system, all links will be marked, and more importantly, all of them will work.

Thank you for telling me about the upcoming changes. I am excited to see what new 'goodies' will be available under a new system! Very Happy

Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:44 pm Profile PM
fijneman
Golden Angel
Warnings: Warning

Post Quote

Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:09 am Profile PM
Crescent
Warnings:

Post Quote
Sorry but it is the same as before, only the icon itself has changed, the colors were like this before too. Generally, orange symbolizes glow as in "new", while dark grey symbolizes burnt out, or read threads. Also make sure to turn javascript on the new domain, or you will get a harder to read design.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:14 am Profile PM
ult_combo
Matrix Angel
Warnings:

Post Quote
rofl I never noticed it before. But I agree that it's kinda annoying to have the icon of the exact opposite color to the text and vice-versa. Will forward this to Sat and Geck. Razz

There is no knowledge that is not power.
Our only limitations are those we set up in our own minds.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Measuring software productivity by lines of code is like measuring progress on an airplane by how much it weighs.
Programming is an art form, whose real value can only be appreciated by another versed in the same arcane art.
Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:20 am Profile PM MSN Skype
Options Quick Reply
Show Smilies

Compose reply Quick reply Little Angels Hentai Forum Index » Help and test-post forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 
You can post new threads in this forum
You can reply to threads in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Do not upload or mention any illegal content. Violators will be reported to the authorities. You are responsible for your uploads and actions.
If it is illegal for you to view adult lolikon material in your current location, leave this site immediately.
LAH is in compliance with DMCA.
LAH works best with JavaScript enabled. Enable it for a better experience. (´・ω・`)
Your browser is outdated and insecure! Please update your browser to fully enjoy LAH.